Treaty of Waitangi

LI: To explore the world in 1840 and the art of the Treaty

This week we looked at the what the world was like in 1840. Did you know that Maori were forced out of there homes by the pakeha

After this we identified some of the key people and their role in the signing of the Treaty of Waitangi. I found it interesting that Henry Williams and his son were translators and translated the treaty from English to Maori. We then used the information from both of these activities to help us read a painting of the day the treaty was signed. We used our knowledge to infer what the artist Marcus King might have wanted us to think was happening. 

I found this really interesting because I could infer who the special people are on the picture that Marcus King Painted and have an understanding of who these people are.

However the image above was painted by Marcus King in 1938 it is his impression of the day the Treaty of Waitangi was signed.

One thought on “Treaty of Waitangi

1. Kia ora, Riley
    The fact I found interesting on your blog was the Maori were forced out of there homes by the pakeha Next time you should check you spelling mistake. would you want to be in the 1840

regards, Maurice